Lesson 1 What we have in common
Recommend reading: Unnecessary Division, R B Ouellette and David Sorenson. Striving Together Publications. Lancaster, CA 2014.
Bible doctrines- the truths of Jesus are not in debate, they are needed to have orthodox truth
- Acts 2:42 the doctrine is based on Christ message
- Romans 16:17 the doctrine learned separates from those teaching heresy
- Baptist doctrines- there are distinctions that Baptist promote that other Christians omit or down play, here is an acrostic spelling BAPTISTS
- Biblical Authority- 2 Timothy 3:16; John 17:17; Acts 17:11; Hebrews 4:12; 2 Peter 1:20-21
- Autonomy of the local church- Colossians 1:18; Acts 13-14, 20:19-30; Ephesians 1:22-23
- Priesthood of believers-Hebrews 4:14-16; I Timothy 2:5-6; 1 Peter 2:5-10
- Two offices in the church-pastor (also referred to as elder, bishop) and deacon Philippians 1:1; Acts 6:1-7; Titus 1:6-9; I Peter 5:1-4)
- INDIVIDUAL SOUL LIBERTY Romans 14:5,12; 2 Corinthians 4:2; Titus 1:9
- Separation of church and state-Matthew 22:21; Acts 5:29-31; Romans 13:1-4.
- Two ordinances-baptism and the Lord’s Supper (also called communion) Matthew 28:19; I Corinthians 11:23-26; Acts 2:38-43, 8:36-38; Romans 6:1-6.
- Separation and personal holiness 2 Corinthians 6:14; I Peter 1:16
- Believer making by Soul winning
- Mark 16:15 Christ commanded to take His message to everyone
- Matthew 28:19-20 it is the desire of independent Baptist church movement to see converts to Christ
- Baptist missions
- Acts 1:8 the commission is to go and send like-minded believers to reach others
- Paul and Barnabas set the tempo of Baptist mission pattern and giving 2 Corinthians 6, 8